Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ransom Note small quilt (Whiplash entry)

Ransom Note: It's Not Me, It's You

In the process of working on my Column Inches quilt, it became clear that I was going to have rather a lot of text-print fabric left over. It just so happened that I was learning to appliqué at about the same time, so I hatched the plan of chopping up text and stitching some quilts that looked like fabric ransom notes. What better time than the May Whiplash challenge, miniature quilts? And what better message than a sentiment we've all felt, but few uttered?

Quilted Ransom Note: It's Not Me, It's You

I was hoping to hand-quilt it, but since the deadline is today (and since I spent the weekend binding the Other's flamingo quilt), I was a bit under the wire. And I curse the day I bought a sewing machine without a walking foot. The letters (all cut from commercially printed quilting cotton) were appliquéd by hand using freeform needle-turn appliqué—that is, I didn't cut out templates first; I just cut out organic shapes around the letters.

Quilted Ransom Note: It's Not Me, It's You (detail)

There are many more letters sitting in my stash, so I'm anticipating plenty more Ransom Note quilts to follow....

whipup

9 comments:

Sonya said...

I saw this on Whiplash and think its brilliant!

Jodie said...

Unbelievable !! I love text on fabrics and this is just fantastic.
A great idea ! Truly!!

Marti said...

This is definitely my favourite of all the entries. Very unique.

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh and I don't think a quilt has ever done that before. Fabulous!

Malka Dubrawsky said...

I too saw this on whiplash and think it's great. So very fun and clever.

Filambulle said...

Wow. This is a great idea, and a beautiful quilt. bravo!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, everybody! Glad you got a kick out of it.

Wendy said...

I really love this quilt! I've never tried quilting, but after reading through your site, I'm inspired to learn.

Also, if your apartment starts to get too full with your wonderful quilts, you really should sell some of them on Etsy. My guess is that they wouldn't last long.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I love your ransom note quilts, and if I may be frank, this is the best one I have seen!