Pages

Sunday, May 04, 2008

People Fabric watching

People Watching fabric

Have you been reading True Up? It's a fairly new blog by Kim from Dioramarama that feeds us fabric junkies. Her posts are gleefully frequent, and I can't get enough.

It didn't take long after she'd starting posting a Daily Swatch that I lost control and shelled out for this People Watching print (pictured above, now that I've got it in my hot little hands!) from Revival Fabrics. It felt like a lot to spend because scoring so much vintage fabric for pennies at thrift stores and the like, but it all evens out.

I love to ogle vintage fabric online, but this is the first time I've bought. Why? Because the People Watching fabric wasn't just gorgeous, it was also exactly what I've been looking for. At left is one of the bargaintastic fabrics I found several months ago at my quilt guild's show (before I joined, in fact). Though it may not actually be old enough to qualify as "vintage," the various people hanging out of the windows looked cool in a voyeuristic, Rear Window way. It inspired a couple quilt designs, but finding fabrics to go with it has been tricky. Enter People Watching. The somewhat mismatched colours should pair even better as the slightly abstracted sides of city buildings.

Of course, the fabric-devouring beast is never satiated, so now I've got my eye out for even more window prints. And probably will till the day I die. Isn't that always the way? Even after you've quilted, bound, and finished a project, you can't help but continue to see fabrics that would have been perfect for it.

Must dump all the other great vintage fabric I'm scrounging onto Flickr. Will let you know when I do.


No comments: