Well, it was a late night, but I got the top done in time for my guild meeting this morning!
(Are the smaller prints doing some freaky moiré stuff on your screen, too?) The piecing was actually a breeze, especially with my amazing, wonderful, how-did-I-live-without-it sewing machine. But oh, the cutting. How I cursed myself for making a pattern with all the blocks different sizes. I'm pleased with how it looks, though, and I think Megan will like it too.
And sure enough, I discovered who amongst my guild had sold the fabric—it was Carol, who'd organized our quilt show's boutique (and probably contributed a hefty chunk of the wares). She's not a computer user, but thanks for the fabric, Carol! And for the inspiration, as well, since the colour scheme, type of secondary prints, and appliqués all came from the hippo fabric.
Now I've got a week to get it quilted and bound. Stitching in the ditch probably won't work, since some of the blocks are pretty big. I'm thinking probably some sort of diamond grid (interrupted where the appliqués are), but if anybody's got any brilliant ideas, I'm open. It just has to be straight lines—I'm still getting up to speed on free motion!